SEO companies often conduct technical SEO site audit in order to weed out elements that might induce inefficiency of the site and make it vulnerable to problems like poor loading speeds and not being user friendly. Hence, it is very important to understand how efficiently designed websites work and take a cue from them on how to go about designing your very own website.
When a technical SEO site audit is done, individuals look out for certain elements that are crucial for the website's success and visibility. So here is a throw down to the 5 crucial elements of well-optimized websites and what professional SEO companies seek when doing SEO site audits.
5 Elements to SEO Audit For Well-optimized Websites
1. Structure of HTML page – It is important for your website to have the ability to be crawled by internet bots. Otherwise, search engines would have a tough job indexing your site. Some of the obstacles that prevent a site from being crawled is the presence of broken links that return 404 errors, Flash based content and iFrames. Getting rid of these issues will make your site perform better and help optimize its core.
2. Internal linking and Sitemaps – Internal linking of web pages in your site is vital as it aids in improving its credibility by giving it a coherent architecture. If there is no proper interlinking of your web pages, your site can run into all sorts of usability issues and become a nightmare to navigate. Likewise, ensure that you submit XML Sitemaps of your site to search engines so that any newly added content can be discovered by users.
3. Load time of your site – Stripping your site of unwanted bulk that increases its load time is imperative towards improving its usability. Visitors shun slow loading sites and feel discouraged from using it. Eliminating usage of large sized images, Flash files and tons of scripts will go a long way in getting the website to load faster. Home pages should ideally be around the size of 130Kb and all other pages must be limited to 180Kb.
4. Filter out duplicate content – Duplicate content tends to take a toll on your site's ranking and make it less visible to your target audience. To avoid problems due to duplication of content, make sure that each of your descriptions is unique in nature and not repetitive. One widely acknowledged recommendation by ecommerce SEO experts would be to make use of CopyScape tool to avoid producing any duplicate content.
5. Seamless experience across all devices – The rapid proliferation of mobile devices means that y our site needs to render smoothly on those devices as well. Otherwise, you will be losing out on a majority of potential visitors who actively browse on mobile devices. If your site is not mobile-friendly, then take all possible remedial steps to ensure that it turns out to be one.
All SEO site audits are different depending on who is conducting it and what the intentions are. For instance, a local SEO site audit versus an ecommerce SEO site audit will vary in terms of optimization. For instance, Click Centric SEO's audits are manually-conducted, in-depth audits that cover a vast number of variables that influence SEO, while many other SEO companies will use automated software to generate the SEO site audit report.
These 5 elements are the main highlights of a well-structured and optimized website. But there are several more factors apart from those mentioned above. Some of them might come to light when you hire an SEO expert to conduct a technical SEO site audit of your site.