On-board rail scales use some of the most modern technologies in weighing heavyweight equipment such as rail cars. They are modified to weigh the freight weight of rail cars as they pass by at a certain time on the rail. That is why they are called "on-board" or at times, "in-motion scales".
These rail scales are used in different industries such as in mining, agriculture or any other large scale industry. They will serve best an industry that requires precise measurement of the content that is being moved by the given rail car. Generally, the in motion rail scale will be used to give efficient means of computing the weight and for that, it will help to evaluate the value of the load being transported in the rail car. Every weight measurement will be determined on the basis of the exclusive freight weight of every content.
How Rail Scale Technology Works
The on-board rail scales are normally installed precisely on the main line of the rail tracks. These scales are usually installed directly in order to give the exact measurement of a given rail car. The rail scales come in 2 varying types:
- A rail scale system that identifies a certain spot on the railroad, where the rail cars must pass by at a given speed. This is the most popular technology used in these types of scales. As the rail car passes through the scale, the weight is estimated on the basis of the force exerted on the track at that spot.
- A rail scale system which focus the weighing system on the distance covered by the rail cars. The weighing devices could be installed on specified ends of the rail car in order to compute the on-board/in-motion weight. Even though this system is more sophisticated, it can offer a more precise measurement of the rail car than the spot-based system.
Each of these systems/application will give the expected result, but the first type is quicker. The scale system will measure the overall weight of the rail car the moment the car passes on the railroad. That is the most preferred as it is positioned at a given station and the measuring monitoring is made easier.
Applications of the Rail Scales
Given the multiple large scale industries that deal with bulky goods, rail car scales play a huge role in several industries which include:
- Farming and Agriculture: It can be installed on rail trucks to measure the harvested produce such as wheat, corn, or other fruits. They are used in grain dumps or any other heavy agricultural apparatus.
- Mining: They are used to serve as mining scales to measure the heavy mine dug like coal, salt, gold, or other heavy stones.
- Chemical and petroleum industries: They are used to weigh the heavy vehicles in order to ensure precision even as the rail car is in motion.
They are also used in shipping and logistics, specifically at the loading and offloading terminals for the rail cars. The scales are also integrated on heavy trucks or heavy commercial vehicles. They might also be incorporated in waste management heavy-weight equipments, for easier evaluation. They are used to monitor the average scrap amount that enters a certain plant, among other large scale industries.